With Announcements, you can post timely information critical to course success. The Announcements page is the default landing page for all courses in Blackboard. We recommend that instructors use Announcements rather than sending mass emails to students for the following reasons:
- Emails sent to multiple recipients may trigger spam filters.
- While you may have your students’ Pitt email addresses provided by the Registrar, students may not check that account frequently, preferring instead to use their personal email.
- Students may accidentally delete or overlook an email sent from an unfamiliar address.
Instead of mass emails, announce to your students (and in the syllabus) that all important announcements will be made via Blackboard. That way, students will always know where they can go to get this information, and it is presented to them immediately when they enter your course.
How to Create Announcements
Announcements appear in the order posted, with the most recent announcements appearing first.
- On the Announcements page, click Create Announcement on the action bar.
- On the Create Announcement page, type a Subject. This becomes the title of the announcement on the Announcements page.
- Type your message.
- In the Web Announcements Options section, click: Not Date Restricted to keep the announcement visible until you remove it.
Date Restricted to limit the announcement’s visibility by date and time.
- Select the Display After and Display Until check boxes to enable the date and time selections. Display restrictions do not affect the announcement availability, only when it appears.
- Select the Email Announcement check box to send students an email containing the announcement, in addition to its appearance in Blackboard. The email is sent to students at their @pitt.edu email accounts.
- In the Course Link section, click Browse to link to a course area, tool, or item (optional)
- Click Submit.
Edit and Delete Announcements
To edit or delete an announcement, access its context menu and click Edit or Delete. The deletion action is final and irreversible.