- Watch a Tutorial
- Before You Begin
- How to Send Email
- How to Add an Email Link to the Course Menu
The Blackboard Learn email tool allows you to send email to other people in your course without launching an external email program, such as Gmail, Outlook, Hotmail, or Yahoo. You can send email to individual users or to groups of users.
Watch a Tutorial (1:37)
Double-click the video to enlarge the viewing area.
Blackboard Learn does not keep records of sent or received email. When you receive or send an email, the email appears in the inbox of your external email program. Keep a copy of important messages in case you need them at a later date.
You can send email to the following users:
- All Users: All users in your course.
- All Groups: All groups in your course.
- All Student Users: All students in your course.
- All Teaching Assistant Users: All teaching assistants in your course.
- All Instructor Users: All instructors in your course.
- All Observer Users: All of the observers in your course.
- Select Users: Select the users from a list.
- Select Groups: Select groups from a list.
- Single/Select Observer users: Send email to a single observer or select observers in your course.
Recipients of each email will not see the email addresses of other recipients.
Before You Begin
- Blackboard Learn only recognizes email addresses and file names with standard characters including: a-z, A-Z, 0-9, @ and period (.).
Note: The system does not recognize files or email addresses with spaces or special characters, such as: ?, !, #, &, %, or $.
- Blackboard Learn requires some text content in the subject line to send email successfully. If you leave the subject line blank, the message will not be delivered.
How to Send Email
- On the Course Menu, click the Tools link. On the Tools page, click Send Email.
On the Control Panel, expand the Course Tools section and click Send Email.
On the My Institution tab, in the Tools panel, click Send Email and select a course.
- On the Send Email page, click a link, such as All Users.
- For Select Users or Select Groups, select the recipients in the “Available to Select” box and click the right-pointing arrow to move them into the “Selected” box. A back arrow is available to move a user out of the recipient list. Click Invert Selection to remove the highlight on selected users onto the users that were previously not highlighted.
For Windows, to select multiple users in a list, press the Shift key and click the first and last users. To select users out of sequence, press the Ctrl key and click each user needed.
For Mac systems, press the Command key instead of the Ctrl key. You can also use the Select All function to send an email to all users.
- Type your Subject. You must include a subject or your message will not be delivered.
- Type a Message.
- Click Attach a file to browse for file from your computer. You can attach multiple files. After you add one file, the option to attach another file will appear.
- Click Submit.
After you send an email, a message will appear at the top of the “Send Email” page with a list of all of the recipients. The message only confirms that the message has been sent and is not a confirmation that any users received the message.
How to Add an Email Link to the Course Menu
You can add a link to the course menu for one-click access to the Blackboard Learn email tool. You can also customize the name of the link.
- Change Edit Mode to ON and point to the plus sign above the course menu. The Add Menu Item drop-down list appears.
- Click Tool Link.
- Type a name for the link.
- From the Type drop-down list, click Email.
- Select the Available to Users check box.
- Click Submit.
The new Blackboard Learn email tool link will appear at the end of the course menu list. Press and drag the arrows icon (located on the left side of the new link) to move the link into a new position. Access the link’s contextual menu to rename, delete, or hide the link from students.
- Your email address is not visible unless you choose to make it visible to course members. Find this setting in the global navigation menu > Settings > Personal Information > Set Privacy Options. On this page, you can choose the information you want course members to see.
- You can change your external email address used in your course. Change your email address by accessing the global navigation menu > Settings > Personal Information > Edit Personal Information. Type your preferred email address and click Submit. Some institutions do not allow users to change their email addresses of record. To learn more, contact your institution.
- Email programs, such as Gmail, Outlook, Hotmail, or Yahoo, may identify email from Blackboard as junk mail, and either automatically delete it or move it to a junk mail folder. If you have problems, check your user preferences or options for settings regarding the handling of junk email.