You can copy the contents of previously-taught courses into the course shells for new courses as a convenient way to reuse and adapt existing course structures, materials, and assessments. Copying course materials into an existing course adds content to a course, but does not remove existing content. You can only copy materials into a course if you have the role of instructor, teaching assistant (TA), or course builder.
How to Copy a Course
1. Access the course you want to copy (that is, the old course).
2. On the Control Panel, expand the Packages and Utilities section and click Course Copy.
3. Next to the Destination Course ID box, click the Browse button to find and select your new course. Then click Submit.
4. Select the course materials that you want to copy over. If you want to copy over all materials, click the Select All button. There is no need to alter the default settings under the File Attachments and Enrollments headings in the vast majority of cases. Please contact us if you think your course may be an exception to this rule.
5. Click Submit to complete the copy action.
Once the Copy is Complete
For the most part, once you have copied a course, your work is done. There are a few things to keep in mind about how some features and tools in Blackboard behave after a course has been copied.
- Dates: Course item and tool dates do not change, so if you had availability dates and times set on content items corresponding to a previous semester in the old course, those same dates and times will persist into the new course. To learn how to quickly adjust dates, see Date Management.
- Discussion Board: If discussion boards were part of the copy, when you enter them for the first time in the new course, you will be prompted to decide how to handle the thread-starting posts (these are the only posts that come over in a copy).
- Panopto: If you’ve provisioned your course with Panopto, you will likely need to contact us to create a new folder for the current course or to change the permission settings on the folder from the old course. Depending on your initial setup, this may or may not impact your current students’ ability to view your Panopto content, however we recommend contacting us after you’ve completed the copy just to be safe.