- Accessing Panopto Through the MyPitt.Edu Portal
- Provisioning Your Blackboard Course in Panopto
- Downloading the Panopto Focus Recorder
Accessing Panopto Through the MyPitt.Edu Portal
1. Go to MyPitt.edu and login using your Pitt username and password.
2. Under the My Resources tab along the top of the portal page, you will select My Pitt Video.
3. This will then open up Panopto.
Provisioning Your Blackboard Course in Panopto
Provisioning your Blackboard course in Panopto is what creates the linkage between these two applications so that you can easily add Panopto videos to your course. Once your course is provisioned, the viewing permissions for videos added to your Blackboard course will automatically reflect the enrollment of your course, so that no one outside of your course can view the videos, but all enrolled users in your course can.
Log into Blackboard and click on the name of the course in which you wish to use Panopto.
1. In the upper left-hand corner, you’ll find a square box with a plus sign, that gives you a drop-down menu.
2. Go to this menu and select Tool Link.
3. When you click this link, a window will pop up, prompting you to name your tool link. From the Type list, select Panopto Course Tool Application.
4. You can name the tool link whatever you wish, but typing in Panopto may help you find this tool link afterward.
5. Open your new Panopto Tool Link. If this is the first time you’ve set up Panopto for this course, you will be presented with a blank pages that asks you to configure your settings in order to provision your course within Panopto.
6. Clicking the Configure button should bring you to the following window.
7. Click Add Course to Panopto to continue.
This action automatically creates a folder in the Panopto web space for your course, as well as listing you and any instructors as creators, and your students as viewers. Depending on the number of teachers and students in your course, the items listed under Instructors and Students may take up a significant amount of space on this screen. Regardless of the users in your course, you should see a message at the bottom that says Successfully provisioned course. If you do not see this message, contact CIDDE for assistance.
8. Click OK to proceed.
The next page will allow you to configure your course. This means that, in addition to the Panopto folder named for your course, any previously existing Panopto folders that you have access to can be added as well. If this is your first time provisioning a course in Panopto, you will not likely see any additional Panopto Folders. However, if you have video content in any other courses in Panopto, and want to share that content with this class, you can do so here by selecting the individual folders on the right, and moving them over to the left.
9. Whichever you decide, or if you are simply not sure, click Submit to proceed.
If you choose not to add any additional folders to your course, the next screen should give you a My Pitt Video folder view, like the one below.
At this point, you can begin uploading video now.
10. Click the Create button to either directly upload a video file, or launch the Panopto Focus Recorder to produce a Panopto Video Session.
11. New Video Sessions will appear in the main window.
12. Manage Folder Settings by clicking the gear shaped icon in the top right.
13. Launch directly into your My Pitt Video page by clicking the arrow button in the top right.
14. You can also Re-Configure the course to include any other Panopto folders you have in this course.
NOTE: If you want to make this your main student video area (not advisable if you plan on uploading content to this folder that you do not wish for all students to view), you can make your Panopto Course Tool Application link available to students. This will give students access to the previous window. If you do not want to give students access to this page (advisable), see our Knowledge Base page on Adding Videos to Blackboard Courses.
If you chose to add additional Panopto folders to your course, you will instead see your folder broken down like so:
15. You should see a list of your recordings by folder. If you do have videos present, you can click on them to view them. If you have none, it will say No recordings.
16. You should also see a link to your Panopto Folder Settings for each folder. You can learn more about these Panopto Folder Settings by viewing our Panopto Folder Settings Knowledge Base article.
NOTE: At any time, you may Re-Configure your page to add or remove folders from this list. Clicking the Re-Configure button will redirect you to the Configure Panopto Course window above to allow you to add or remove folders from this course.
Downloading the Panopto Focus Recorder
To download the Panopto Focus Recorder, go to a provisioned course folder in CourseWeb (see above), or log into the Panopto website.
Alternatively, from the Panopto website, once you log in, you should see Download Recorder link underneath your username in the upper right hand corner.
Once you’ve downloaded the installer, open it to begin installation. Follow the instructions in the installer window until they are complete. You will need Administrator privileges to your computer to install new software.
Once you have completed the installation, open the Panopto Focus Recorder application. If this is your first time using Panopto on this computer, you will be prompted to log in.
The log in process varies between the Windows and Mac versions. When logging in, make sure that the server address is set to pitt.hosted.panopto.com. If you are asked for a provider, make sure it is set to Pitt-CourseWeb, or simply click Log in with Pitt-CourseWeb. In either case, you should see the CourseWeb log-in screen appear, where you can sign in using your Pitt username and password.
Please read the Using the Panopto Focus Recorder Knowledge Base entry to learn about about the Recorder. Also remember to Add your Panopto Videos to Blackboard once you’ve provisioned your course. If you need further assistance with this installation, you can contact the Technology Help Desk. Once you have installed the Panopto Focus Recorder, you are ready to begin recording and uploading video!